COOKEVILLE, Tenn. (Nov. 27, 2012) — Thanks to its commitment to protecting the environment, Averitt Express was chosen as a “Green 75 Supply Chain Partner” by Inbound Logistics magazine. It’s the third straight year Averitt has been selected for the honor.
Inbound Logistics bases its Green Supply Chain Partners list on a company’s involvement in three areas: participation in public-private partnerships, corporate sustainability initiatives, and collaborative customer-driven projects. The magazine’s editors solicited more than 200 transportation and logistics companies to complete a questionnaire specifying their investments in sustainability – ranging from fuel-efficient equipment to corporate-sponsored recycling programs, and everything in between.
“In our industry, it’s vital that we maintain our focus on environmental stewardship and sustainability,” said Gary Sasser, Averitt’s president and CEO. “We’re extremely honored to have been recognized by Inbound Logistics three years in a row for our ’green’ efforts. The entire Averitt team takes great pride in continually finding new ways to be environmentally friendly.”
Over the past several years, Averitt has developed programs to educate and reward associates for improving their fuel efficiency. Averitt has awarded $90,000 in fuel cards, a Smart Fortwo city car, and a Ford F-150 4x4 truck.
A charter member of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s SmartWay program, Averitt has taken numerous steps to reduce its environmental impact, including:
- Using only ULSD (ultra-low-sulfur diesel) at in-house fueling stations, helping reduce emissions of particulate matter and nitrogen oxides
- Equipping road tractors with APUs (auxiliary power units) to maintain driver comfort and reduce fuel use through idling when parked for extended periods of time
- Installing sophisticated electronic technology that gathers data from tractor engine computers to track and measure fuel efficiency
- Equipping trucks with systems that automatically shut down idling engines
- Using leading-edge software to plan routes as efficiently as possible and alert drivers to the most cost-effective fueling locations
- Using Biodiesel in select markets
- Using low-viscosity lubricants and engine oils that lower the frequency of maintenance service intervals, therefore producing fewer waste products
- Providing numerous e-commerce solutions, such as electronic bills of lading, invoicing and various forms requests, in order to reduce and potentially eliminate paper use
- Striving to maintain balance within distribution network to reduce empty miles, thus reducing emissions and fuel usage
Averitt’s current SmartWay score is 1.25, which represents outstanding environmental performance, according to the EPA. Partners with this score are already utilizing most of the commercially available fuel saving strategies and are actively evaluating the latest emerging technologies.
To learn more about Averitt’s environmental responsibility, visit www.averittexpress.com/green.
About Inbound Logistics
Inbound Logistics is the leading trade magazine targeted toward business logistics and supply chain managers. The magazine’s editorial mission is to help companies of all sizes better manage corporate resources by speeding and reducing inventory and supporting infrastructure, and better matching demand signals to supply lines. More information is available at www.inboundlogistics.com.
ABOUT AVERITT EXPRESS
Averitt Express is a leading provider of freight transportation and supply chain management with international reach to more than 100 countries. The company is a founding SmartWay℠ partner and a member of The Reliance Network™, a network of carriers that provides seamless LTL services throughout North America. Averitt specializes in delivering customized transportation solutions that include cross-border, dedicated, expedited ground/air, intermodal COFC/TOFC, international ocean/air, local customization, less-than-truckload, PortSide®, retail solutions, temperature-controlled, transportation management, truckload (dry van, flatbed, brokerage) and warehousing services. Averitt's technology offerings include a full suite of web-based shipping tools, electronic data interchange (EDI), warehouse management systems (WMS), and transportation and operations management systems. Together, these services and technology solutions provide "The Power of One" to shippers, allowing them access to multiple transportation solutions from a single provider. For more information, call 1-800-AVERITT (283-7488) or visit AverittExpress.com.